the ethics of globalization > Part 4: Possible Responses from Individuals
Part 4: Possible Responses for Individuals:
Scripture: The Sower and the Seeds Luke 8:4-15 (Mark 4:3-9; Matthew 13:3-9).
Santification: Personal holiness leads to social holiness. Though this process of accepting our acceptedness we are unable to contain the awe-inspiring vision of how the world could be and are compelled to share this vision through acts of love and justice in the world. Striving to renew the image of God in the world. (Wesley).
Keyword: Praxis, Santification,
Browse through and listen, read and watch what you want.
AAAhhhhh... information overload....
The goal of this page is to point to a few of practical steps or things to try.
- · Listen to" Sarah McLachlan's version of "The Prayer of St Francis." Unreleased. Found online through Napster, November 1, 2000. Listen to this mp3
- Local Activists: Read three out of eight ."Pro-Local Revolutionaries." Utne Reader. November-December 2001, No 108. p 68-77. Download in Adobe Acrobat
- o This article shows how "normal" people have, and are making, a difference though the world. There are numerous types/kinds of movements, organization and official structures (segments of the church) that are working for differing forms of the same thing. In my eyes they are working for what is traditionally known as the Kingdom of God.
- Harris, B.J. "Green Shopping on the web" GreenMoney Journal, October/November 2001. Found on the Web December 1. 2001. http://www.greenmoney.com/gmj/oct-nov2001/3.htm
- "The Discipline of Simplicity" Foster, Richard, J. Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth. Download in Adobe Acrobat
- Conflict Resoution - listen to Dialogue as Ancient Practice in Real Audio or in MP3 Author of The Way of Conflict (New World Library 2004) and Worst Enemy, Best Teacher: How to Survive and Thrive with Opponents, Competitors, and People Who Drive You Crazy (New World Library 2005). www.wayofconflict.com
- Fight Mannequinism - www.fightmannequinism.org - You just need see for yourself.
- Read three out of eight ."Pro-Local Revolutionaries." Utne Reader. November-December 2001, No 108. p 68-77. Download in Adobe Acrobat or read the "PROFILES" www.utne.com
- Christian Vocation: This is tough but it is easier if you are not alone-church as community and community accountability.
- Christian Hope: The Christian hope is that we are not alone in this struggle. There are millions of people across the globe in many different forms struggling and actlively working for the domination free society.
- This topic is overwhelming. I have been overwhelmed by a sense of vastness which leaves me feeling helpless. Because of this, I suggest a few things people can do. One thing could be in a covenant or study group. This group could encourage each other in the discipline of simple living (see Foster, Celebration of Discipline p79-95 and Simpler Living, Compassionate Life).
However, the main way I suggest that people live their lives in response to such a Goliath is prayerful in accordance with 1 Thessalonians 5:17, ("pray without ceasing"). When living prayerfully people need to be aware of their buying habits, as part of their Christian vocation. People can use their money in a way that reflect their beliefs. Below are suggests of Internet companies I know that might be helpful and always remember the the general rule about buying local.
The point of the church is to help individuals live our Christian vocation in our daily life. Brain Mahan a professor of mine at Candler School of Theology describes hope as not knowing where you're going but knowing how to get there. I suggest that we know some of the ends and they may be slightly different, depending on context. For as me in the Christian community the goal is as Elisabeth Schussler Fiorenza describes the Kingdom of God ...The Domination Free Society.
- Working Assets
- Working Assets is a long distance, wireless, credit card, Internet and broadcasting company that was created to build a world that is more just, humane and environmentally sustainable. Since Working Assets was created in 1985, the company has raised nearly $35 million by helping people make a difference in the world through progressive philanthropy and political activism. http://www.workingassets.com/
- Cafe Campesino!
- Cafe Campesino!is a Coffee organization that is committed to direct, fair trade. The money you spend on their coffee goes directly to the farmers growing it. http://www.cafecampesino.com
- Unite! Union ( http://www.uniteunion.com/ ) A new chapter in the history of the U.S. labor movement began in 1995 with the founding of UNITE (Union of Needletrades, Industrial and Textile Employees). The new union was formed by the merger of two of the nation's oldest unions, the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union (ILGWU) and the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union (ACTWU). http://www.nosweatapparel.com/
- Ethical Shopper
- And there is always the tradition of supporting local companies, restaurants, grocery stores (finding stores that buy local products can be a problem however a secondary good is to by Organic, Fair Trade items, or Kosher products. These products are more likely to have been created using ethical and just regulations.
- Complied Resources: web and prints